Monday, April 27, 2009

Inspired by Arnold Lowery

Certain things draw you to a picture, painting or the style of an artist. After viewing a number of paintings on WetCanvas by Arnold Lowery, I was drawn to his style, flow and creative ideas in his paintings. I especially like his "action" paintings of the sea. For those of you who aren't familiar with Arnold, he is an artist from Wales and as you can imagine, is inspired by the sea. A few weeks ago I purchased his instructional book Sea and Sky in Watercolour and I also got the DVD to go along with it. It is a really helpful book full of ideas using his techniques. What I have learned is something that I will be able to use in my paintings, but with tweeking to my own style. The DVD is a very helpful tool to actually see him painting.

The painting above is a rendition of one of Arnold's paintings titled "Cliffs" in his book. This is my version of it and I think it is similar. I made a few changes to it though. This is a smaller painting on an 8x10 Conrad Watercolor paper, 300 gsm or 140 lb, Cold Press. I hope that one day I will be able to make it to Wales to attend one of Arnold's classes. Your comments are always welcome and I appreciate any feedback regarding any of my paintings, pictures or the site in general.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome painting. I think you have a lot of talent and you're constantly improving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Darin
    Nice work. Arnold is one of my favorites too. He has got a great loose style. His books also throw light on his teaching capabilities...a lot to learn from him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandeep,

    Sorry for the late reply, but I have been very busy working on a yard project that is still in process(July)! Thanks for the comments and for visiting my blog. I haven't had much time to post additional paintings, but I hope to in the future. I always look forward to seeing artists work such as your's and Arnold's. They are always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete