Thursday, February 19, 2009

Living, Loving, Painting and a bit of Wet Canvas

Over the past few days I really haven't painted a lot, and that could be due to the colder weather we are experiencing here in Malta at the moment, but I have had the opportunity to discuss various issues about painting with friends and acquaintances in a number of different conversations and topics. Whew! What a long sentence. Anyway, one of the topics I was discussing with a friend was trying to go from one level to the next. You know, improving your game and stepping it up a bit. I am in the process of taking some painting classes, but I just haven't found the right place or teacher yet. Another way is to network and to do research on the Web or by reading. There are plenty of videos on YouTube, WetCanvas and many other sites, where you can find instructional videos on different topics to help you improve as a painter or artist. Personally, WetCanvas is one of the best ways I have found to get instruction, critique, and comments on my paintings that I submit for other artists to view and provide feedback. This has encouraged me a lot as an artist knowing that if I ever have a question about how to start something or how to correct a mistake or to enhance a painting, I can go to a forum and ask fellow artists worldwide. Not will I only get 1 or 2 different types of feedback, but I may get 5 or 10. Other than you being your own worst critic, other artists will shoot it straight and try to help you out.

Another discussion I had this week was whether it is right or wrong for an artist who is painting to trace or copy the under drawing or if it should be done freehand. The subject of copying from a projector came up. A person can look at this in a number of different ways. If you are wanting to paint, you tend to want to start the painting right away, but the under drawing takes some time, so some people find it easier to trace the drawing instead of drawing freehand. You still have to paint it and that is the hardest part. The thought is if you can paint, that is the end goal and the drawing is only a small portion. If you can't paint well, no matter how good the drawing is, the painting will.....well you get my drift. This is one theory. The other thought is that the drawing is part of the art itself and more of a "pure" form and this isn't looked at as cheating, such as with tracing or copying. Both are food for thought. I myself have always taken the "pure" approach with the underdrawing, but this doesn't mean it is right or wrong. Let's face it, Michelangelo used his black pin box to help him cut corners too, but it didn't make him any less of a painter.

I recommend that anyone who is interested in learning, advancing your skills and talking with other artists, I would highly recommend connecting to WetCanvas . I do know that taking lessons will improve and advance my God given talents, and until I find the desired place to study, I will be living, breathing and loving painting........and I will spend some time on WetCanvas too.

1 comment:

  1. Lots of information there. Now you need to hook up to some artists' blogs so that you can discuss issues like these.

    ReplyDelete